Friday, February 22, 2008

Being gay is great. Pretending to be straight is better.














First off - thanks to Eric for these pics. A picture equals a thousand words. So, thanks to Eric my blog entry will be 2,000 words shorter than if I had to explain this campaign.

So, for those of you who don't use the Castro Metro Station, let me explain. What you see is a new billboard campaign for the online matchmaking service, PartnerforLife.com. And when I say campaign - I mean it. They've blanketed the the station walls with no less than 14 unique billboards - all playing off the idea that being a careless, sex-crazed man pig is great. But really, being in love, committed, and partnered is better. Now... I have no argument with the latter half of the equation. I do seek to be in love and partnered so I take no offense - and when I first saw the campaign, I liked it. But I figured out what I really liked was the fact that they went balls-to-the-wall and created ~14 unique billboards and posted them all in the same place. That's marketing coverage.

But the more and more I saw these ads, the more I became a little annoyed that they felt the need to be pejorative for the population of gay men that are active. Why must these things be mutually exclusive? Why can't "Dick" and having mom meet Richard both be GREAT. The campaign goes on and on like this. It starts to feel a little preachy, like "Hey Faggots! Stop having recreational sex and get married like the straights."

So, in the spirit of being bitchy and sassy, I decided to write a few headlines for the next wave of their campaign. Free of charge. Cuz that's how I roll. Enjoy

Fisting is great.
Holding hands is better.

Lovebutter in the stomach is great.
Butterflies in the belly are better.

"Call me" is great.
"Marry me" is better.

Morning ass is great.
Breakfast in bed is better.

Swinging from his cock is great.
Swinging on the porch is better.

Up to the forearm is great.
Up to the lakehouse is better.

Jungle juice is great.
Jungle love is better.

Nipple play is great.
Dinner and a play are better.

STDs are great.
FTD is better.

Mind-blowing penetration is great.
Never-ending conversation is better.

The other fun thing I found out is that the PartnerforLife.com site is hosting a contest for their next billboard ad. You can submit your headlines to win an iPod. I submitted a few of the above... LOL. Not holding my breath to win - but waiting for the nasty email response.

http://www.partnerforlife.com/ads-contests.html

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You have no idea how much arguement went around about the 'Your shit and piss is my bread and butter' shirts and if the grammer is right!

GabrielZ said...

Hi, Fred. That's a great story. Perhaps you could create an FTP PfL headline, like:

Piss and Shit is Great.
Piss and Shit with a boyfriend is better.

I know, it's literal. But when you're dealing with Piss and Shit, literalness has its benefits. :)

Davey, I love these slogans. Love, love, love. I especially enjoy the love butter (great on toast - or abs!) and STD/FTD - which might just be one of the best ones I've *ever* heard.

Anonymous said...

totally off subject, but you know fred, i finally admit the grammar is right...the subject is technically a singular as is the direct object...this is hard for me *sniff* so for me to be right, it would have to be "your shits and pisses are my bread and butter. i bow to jeff's superior knowledge of english grammar! shans

Anonymous said...

Every time I think you can't get any hotter, you totally do.