Saturday, February 16, 2008

The smartest and funniest person I know

Who's the smartest person you know? Which one of your friends is the person that actually has valid and considerable knowledge about topics that span politics, business, travel, religion, history, culture, and human nature? They are the person who's opinion you can inextricably trust because it's always based on the fact that they, well, have the facts. And who is that friend of yours that can make you laugh so hard you actually pee a little? For me, it's the same person...my friend Gabe Zichermann.

At only 33, Gabe has already chocked up stellar career titles such as Vice-President and CMO. And most currently he is the founder and CEO of his own brain child...an online business called www.rmbr.com. He was thinking to himself one day that people should be able to use their photos to create an evolving memory with an online community of friends. And if Gabe decides that the idea is viable... it is. And it was. He put his idea into motion, connected with other smart people, and built the technology required to execute his vision. He took it from idea to www.rmbr.com LIVE in 10 months. Do you see what I mean? It took me 10 months to find a nice pair of nightstands for my bedroom.

When I'm around Gabe I can't help but be in a constant state of aw. Because not only do I always learn something from him, but his talon tongue and savvy sense of humor makes for the funniest person I've ever met. Gabe can take the most banal of topics and flip it around, instantaneously, and turn it into a monologue that'll have you laughing so hard, you become inaudible.

Having someone in my life that can make me both think AND laugh is such a blessing. But in addition to his brilliance - he's, at the core, a caregiver. He TRULY involves himself in your life, he cares about your personal satisfaction - your goals, your dreams, your fears, and your guilty pleasures. He has been THE single most encouraging person with my secret little fantasy of being a playwrite or a TV writer. So encouraging to the point where he seems more invested in my dream than me. Which IS the sweetest part of Gabe. And which is making me tear up right now as I write this.

I'm thinking about him because he's sitting next to me right now. He's visiting from NYC and staying with me for a few days. As I sit here, I can't help but feel so excited that someone I respect and revere is such a big part of my life.

Gabe's the kind of person that I wish would be President. He'd solve the healthcare crisis, poverty, and get Kim Jong to admit he likes ass play. If he can accomplish so much by the young age of 33... he can accomplish anything he wants. I'm sure of it and I can't wait to see what it is. If you don't believe me, just Google "Gabe Zichermann" and see for yourself. And yes, every result you see, for pages and pages, are actually HIM. He's important. He's smart. He's funny...and he's my friend. :-)

4 comments:

Matt G said...

Wow, that's awesome... not only to have such a great friend, but to be able to articulate so clearly about him. Maybe one of these days, I'll get to know him better

GabrielZ said...

I am required, under sharia law, to reply to this posting...though I must admit that it's a bit weird since you wrote the posting while I was sitting beside you in your living room *and* I was also next to you when you asked me to read it. :)

I'm not as good with compliments paid by my savant friends as you might think - and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your trust, faith and enthusiasm. I also appreciate how comfortable your guest bedroom is.

I guess I'm just thankful for all of it. :)

And Matt, you'll get your chance. You may rue the day...

Wilma said...

Gabe for President! What a compliment, Davey...and so sweet. Gabe is truly brilliant and HYSTERICAL! Hope I get to see him this week. Glad you are getting some quality time together. MUAH!

Eric A said...

What a sweet entry :) Single tear!

Plus, I have to give it up for Gabe. Any man who can make me want to buy a plane ticket to Singapore just to relive the gastronomic experience in his story secures my Lebanese vote!