Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Aloha from Uncle Kawika

I had a real touching moment last weekend. My 12-year old niece, Jessica, called me up to invite me as her date to you "Me and My Pal" dance for her girlscouts. It was really sweet. I mean, unless I had plane tickets in my hand, what would have more important than this?

It was a Hawaiian theme so all the Dad's and their daughters...and one Gay Uncle and his niece... were donned in bright - usually hideous - Hawaiian shirts. The gym was lit by straight people (bright and flourescent) and was a bit awkward for a dance - but oh well. We had to wear nametags with the Hawaiian translation of our name. Mine is Kawika (pronounced Kavika).

Sure enough, 1 hour into the dance...nobody was dancing. And of course my extroverted niece decides she's Pink and she's gonna "Get this party started!" So she grabs my hand and promptly leads me to the dance floor where we being to dance... all by ourselves...for the entire song! What a bunch of chickens.

Both my nieces were at the dance (7-year old Sydney took Dad as her date) so we got some good Uncle-Niece time out on the dance floor. Sure enough they spent most of the time flittering around with their girlfriends... but that was OK with me. I was just touched that she asked me to go. There are only a few moments in life I'll ever get like that being a gay man without kids... so I'll take 'em.

Oh - and by the way - MY nieces are awesome dancers. Sorry Wilma...

2 comments:

GabrielZ said...

so cute. I know i've said that about your pics before...but this time I mean it. :)

And, who says you won't have kids someday in the near futch? If Nicole Richie can get knocked up (I thought the severely malnourished couldn't get preggers) then you can too.

-G

Wilma said...

I am sitting here hysterical laughing....love it! So true....my nieces are BLANCO...yours have the gift of the ethnic gene, therefore great dancers. =)

That is so sweet that you went with your niece. I am sure she loved it.

LOVE YOU!