Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stop, drop, and RUN!

This morning I had a creepy experience in the men's room at work. There are 2 stalls, and while I was in one, a man entered the second one long after I'd been there. I guess he didn't realize I was there, and while it was quiet, he moaned to himself

"I'm gonna kill myself. I swear, I'm gonna kill myself."

I FROZE. Freaked out, I didn't know what to do. Do I stay silent until he leaves? But what if he tries something while in the bathroom? Then I thought he was on the phone... I prayed. I caught his reflection in the tile wall and saw him, head was face down in his hands.

I panicked...and quickly ran out of the stall...and of course made enough noise for him to realize I was there. He came out quickly and I avoided eye contact. We were next to each other while at the sinks. My head never left my hands.

Later today, I was returning from the restroom - and who is walking towards me but HIM. I recognized the shirt. He goes to grab his cell phone, out of his pocket - it falls to the ground. In disgust, he kicks his phone hard.

I've never seen this man before and now I've encountered him twice. I've promised myself that if I run into him again today, then I'm supposed to interact with him. Maybe there's a lesson I'm supposed to learn in all this. But it's been very odd.

If you could have only heard the desperation in his voice when he uttered those words. Chilling. Dire. Sad. I hope he's OK.

3 comments:

Eric A said...

wow ... what a weird circumstance. I hope the guy's ok ...

Anonymous said...

Look, i was just having a tough day. GEEZ!

GabrielZ said...

This raises some obvious questions:

a) Just how long, exactly, were you in there and why?
b) How do you not recognize the people who work with you when there's only 6 people at Pearson?
c) Are you sure he said "kill" and not "peel" or "heal", "feel" or "zeal" (which wouldn't make much sense, but certainly would seem more upbeat?) - remember: people from Texas talk funny.
d) Perhaps you could communicate with him through a series of complicated body/eye gestures you learned in the jungles of borneo, letting him know, subtly, that you aren't trying to hurt him, but rather, that you listen to other people on the toilette
e) You could try a more traditional approach here and just never go to that bathroom again.

Just some ideas...

-G