Saturday, February 7, 2009

Pooh Bear loves his honey

Last night I got together with some of my old high school friends. We were sitting around the table, eating and laughing, and I took a moment to pause and reflect on the fact that these people have been in my life - and contributed to the memories of my life - more so than any of my relatives, less my immediate family.

There are no last name to bind us. No blood to oblige us. But there we were, friends for over 25 years, and even though months pass in between visits, we pick up as if no time has passed. We know all each other's hot-buttons, quirks, and idiosyncracies. It wasn't our full clan at dinner, but there was 4 of us from the core group - a few husbands, a new boyfriend, and even one of the mothers.
These people are my family. Right? How could they not be? I've known Heather (aka Pho) since I was 11, I've known Kristen (aka Pach or Boobs) since I was 14, and Janene (aka TwoFoot or Janeina) since I was 16. OMG - I've known Pho for 31 years. That's INCREDIBLE. That's family.

People say blood is thicker than water - placing importance on family - which I do get. But if that's true, than what's thicker than blood? Similar to adoption, friends are even more special than our born family because they're the family we choose.

Honey. That's it! Honey is thicker than blood. If family is blood - then friendships are honey.

They're sweet. They add so much joy and happiness to our lives.
They're sticky. Good ones stay around. Great ones stay for life.

Now it makes sense why some people call me Pooh Bear. Cuz I got me a TON of honey... tons of friends that are my family...and I love it!

3 comments:

GabrielZ said...

Awww. Now all you need to do is cover yourself in the sticky stuff, and head down to your local bee hive (and by bee hive, I mean Bearacuda, and by head down, I mean...well...you get the picture). Then get ready...to be licked. :)

Anonymous said...

well ok, honey will work too.

Anonymous said...

I guess we bitched enough about not being mentioned! Wow...we have known each other for many years...thanks for all the laughs!