Sunday, December 23, 2007

Betting on the Ponies

Each year, the lexicon of a group of friends grows and grows. New catch phrases are invented and some work their way into the everyday language... and some are fun for a spell but don't have the staying power to last beyond the weekend they were crafted.

A recent phrase has not only made it's way into my group's lexicon, but it's promising enough to catch on and replace another long-standing phrase that America has embraced. The current domain champion taking-a-dump-phrase of "I've gotta drop the kids off at the pool" is soon to be replaced by (if the gods permit) "I'm gonna go bet on the ponies at Bear Downs".

The phrase was a collaborative effort between Gabe and I. You see, when a conversation starts to introduce "poo" Gabe refers to it as "going to Brown Town." Then I said that the race track in Brown Town was called "Bear Downs". And he then added "Betting on the ponies".

I've started using the phrase and it's gaining much traction. The response is quite positive and I think that within 5 years, i'll hear that phrase being used in some form of media. It's the best phrase that came out of 2007 and it has the legs to win the race, and I'm betting that it will replace the tired old pool reference, toot sweet.

1 comment:

GabrielZ said...

I'm very appreciative that you've given me credit for this one, Davey. You didn't have to, but you did. And for that, I salute you...and your uncanny ability to play the ponies like no one else. :)