Monday, December 17, 2007

What my blog name means

I titled my blog "Making a Left in a World of Right Turns" because growing up a left-handed person, it always seemed that everything was geared for right-handed people - and us south paws were always left with some retarded version of the original. Remember those lame short-bus scissors? They were never the nice big ones. They always the little ones, with a bull-nosed edge. They never cut right, and I eventually stopped using them and taught myself to cut with the right-handed ones.

Then growing up "chubby" I always felt like things that others took so casually, like playing in the park or beach with your shirt off, was off limits for me. As I battle with weight, I always see those people who just lucked out with good DNA who eat SPAM and candy and never gain weight, and envy their ability to tuck in their shirts or take them off without shame.

And as for being gay - well - that's truly another example of a world geared towards the non-gay and the struggles to find my way - and build a life - that is alternative to the masses.

Now - I completely realize that my trials and tribulations are not of the magnitude to equal those who have experience racial hatred, or any female in a muslim culture. But, my life is the only life I'm living. And it's the only life of which I can unequivocally speak from experience. They're real, and they're mine. I do not pretend to have had a more troubled life than anyone else. Quite the contrary. My life has been so blessed and fulfilling from birth to current. I'm not saying I've come to a stop-sign by the cruelty of the world. Merely feel that sometimes I have to pause in the intersection and wait until it's my turn. Until the coast is clear to be the only me I know. That's all.

1 comment:

GabrielZ said...

I'd have guessed that your sense of humor would be your biggest "handicap". ;)

But I'm glad you feel like a survivor. Perhaps you should consider auditioning for it. How are your bug eating skillz?