Saturday, January 19, 2008

In the garage, on a ladder, holding a drill, in my underwear

It's started. The decline of my brain. The one thing I always prided myself on was my great memory. I've always had a great memory. I could hear a phone number once and recall it months later - never having used the number at all in the interim. Now, I'll start asking a question and completely forget 3 seconds after forming the question in my head. What's going on? Is it age? Liquor abuse?

I now find myself in a strange setting - having to back track my steps to figure out how I got there. I recalled this one morning, I woke up, was getting dressed...put on my underwear and recalled that the dress socks I needed were in the dryer. As I walked towards the laundry room, I noticed the drill on the kitchen counter that I needed to put away. Perfect...cuz the dryer was in the garage. So I grab the drill and head into the garage. As I'm about to put the drill away, I remembered that a shelf in the garage had a loose screw, so I figured while I've got the drill out, might as well fix it. So I get out the ladder, climb up, and I'm now drilling a screw, up on a ladder in my underwear. I finished fixing the shelf, got down, put the ladder away and stood there thinking to myself "what was it that I was originally doing?" I couldn't remember and walked all the way back to my bedroom to continue getting dressed. I opened up the sock drawer, and thought to myself "Now where is that pair of grey socks I want to wear?"

Ah, the joys of getting older.

3 comments:

GabrielZ said...

Perhaps you were confused because the environment wasn't a dimly lit, red-bulbed, maze-like space where most of the "dialogue" takes place at waist-level? :)

Matt G said...

OMG Gabe that's brilliant.

Dave D said...

Betches, the lot of you!