Sunday, March 30, 2008

Roadtrip to Vegas

On Thursday I got to spend some time with Vinnie while he was up here visiting his dad. Vinnie's been suffering with multiple disk herniations in his neck and so I decided to drive with him back down to Vegas since his partner Phil had to return to Vegas for work. I was worried that in Vinnie's state of pain, it wouldn't be a good idea for him to drive himself for 10 hours with 3 dogs.

So on Wed night, he showed up with the pups and it was real nice. Bailey, the dog that Vinnie and I got together back in 1997, was here and it was great to see him. Bailey spent the night on my bed so that was super special. He doesn't really remember me, but it was still great to have him in bed with me. I slept SO great that night. Funny how having him there made a big difference in my sleep.

Thursday we set off for Vegas in Vinnie's giant Yukon XL. In classic Vinnie fashion, he had created a giant doggie bed in the back of the Yukon so the doggies would be totally comfortable. Tons of blankets and big pillows. Perfect for 3 dogs on a long trip.

The drive actually went by really fast. We talked a bunch and listened to XM radio, flipping back and forth between the 70s, 80s, and 90s station. Heard some songs I hadn't heard in decades. Was really nice.

This one song, "The Second Time Around" by Shalamar came on. When I was 12, I used to play that song OVER and OVER again while rollerskating in my garage - pretending it was a roller rink. How my parents never knew...I have no idea. Anyway, we had a nice roadtrip together.

When we were together, we would spend a great deal of our weekends in the motorhome, so traveling for 10 hours was definitely a flashback to a big part of our relationship. Glad that we've been able to become friends again and can share time together that lets us reminisce and smile.

3 comments:

Wilma said...

Glad you had a great trip with Vinnie. You are such a kind person. Happy you are my friend. MUAH!

GabrielZ said...

You really are the nicest guy ever!

Ok, now that we've got that out of the way. :)

Any unexpected stops, roadside roto-rooter or interstate insertions? Enquiring minds want (need!) to know.

LOL. I crack myself up.

Vince said...

Without any doubt the sweetest most kindest man ever....thank you Davey for taking such good care of me and the puppies.....and taking the time to get us back home safely. We love you-