Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 6: Friday was my kinda day

Andy surprised us again, and brought the household another bag full of breakfast sandwiches this morning. He’s totally spoiling us. It’s a very sweet way to start the day. Friday had the signs of potentially being a boring day for me. Fernando and Larry were off to go kayaking but I couldn’t because of my rotator cuff injury, Gabe and Chris were going to be working all day, so that left little ol me all alone. What to do. What to do.

So I rented a bike and rode all over Provincetown for 2 hours checking out the local architecture – which is more like charmchitecture – and I also rode out to the beach to see the shore. I snapped a few shots of some of the charming homes and a little bit of the seashore – which was less interesting.












I realized that I hadn’t been on a bike since, well, I can’t remember. It was so much fun to do that again. Far too long. I was able to ride with no hands like I used to do when I was young. That was fun. The other thing that was great, was getting a 2 hour cardio workout in the hot sun. I was a dripping wet pig when I was done – but I felt great. Except for that area under my butt… it is SO sore from the seat…ouch!

This one yellow house was for sale and I started having delusions of grandeur imaging buying it, fixing it up and having an amazing vacation home across the street from the shore. But, then, it hit me… that’s how ALL of these folks end up buying here. They get charmed by their first visit
and then think “wouldn’t it be great to have a vacation home?” and then it’s all over. On a side note, everything is really expensive and there’s a TON of stuff for sale. Me thinks the honeymoon is over for a bunch of vacationers.

The Rosie O’Donnell cruise “R Family” pulled into town today and dumped off 2000 gay and lesbian families (queers and their kids). The streets were PACKED. It was cool that there was a giant influx of extra gay people in Ptown – but honestly – it was already crowded enough and inside my head I was kinda thinking…”GET OUT!”

We all met back up and headed out for my final tea dance at The Boatslip. Oh My God, Becky… it was the biggest tea dance of all, we think because of the cruise ship peeps. Check out this crowd!

Gabe’s partner, Jason, showed up just in time for the tea dance, so we hung out and did our usual bit of drinking and being silly. It was great fun. We spent a few hours here frolicking with the menz, and then we were off to go get in line to see Dina Martina, this drag queen with the GIANT camel toe.

After the tea dance we strolled through town and ran into these guys that are friends of Gabe’s from NYC. The guy on the right, the big giant bear, is named Barry. Really? This guy is the total poster bear for this week. So funny his name was Barry the Bear.









Gabe and I were first in line and while standing there, we stuck up a conversation with this volunteer fireman, George, who was watching over the fire truck that had been positioned in the courtyard of this bar. Later that night, there was a big dance called the “Fireman’s Ball” and it was a fundraiser for the local firehouse. So in classic Gabe/Dave fashion we had to ask a ton of questions about how they got the truck in here? If we could climb on it? How may volunteer firefighters the town had? The recent fire stories in town, etc. He was a nice guy so I snapped a shot of him.

At the Dina Martina show, she has “Gift Time” where she pulls out a gift bag and hands out little gifts to the crowd. Well, I didn’t realize what was about to happen – but she asked people to raise their hand if they wanted a gift. So I did, as did most of the audience. Well, she picked me and then told me to come up on stage. So I had to get on stage with her and she asked me a few questions before giving me each gift.

“Well hello there. Wow, you have quite a man chest. You put the man chest in Manchester.” (badump bump!)

“Do you like Butterscotch?”
“Yes…”
“Great! And do you like Haggas?”
“Um…no.”
“Great! Here’s some butterscotch-flavored gummie-bear haggas.”

“Do you like lollipops?”
“Yes…”
“Great! And do you like Sigmund Freud?”
“Uh…sure.”
“Great! Here’s a Sigmund Freud lollipop!”

The lights were CRAZY hot and of course I was just standing there sweating. But it was fun.

Then we grabbed a late dinner where the Miss Richfield 1981 drag show was just getting out so I was able to grab a pic of her saying goodbye to her guest. I love her bra.

Gabe and I then went to the Fireman’s Ball and had a super fun time. It was one of those THUMP THUMP THUMP dance parties but the place had a deck and pool out back so we just hung outside the whole time meeting and talking to different people. We closed the dance at 1am, and then I, as usual, headed over to Spiritus Pizza for my last sidewalk sale. I hung out with Calvin (pictured below) who is the tallest human being I’ve ever met (6’9”) but a MAJOR sweety. He’ll be out to SF for Folsom Week so I’ll get to hang out with him when he comes into town.

My last full day in Ptown was great! So sad to see the trip come to a close tomorrow on Saturday. But I guess all good things must come to an end, eventually.

No comments: