Monday, July 28, 2008

The Game of Life

On Saturday we had a family gathering at my parent's house to welcome my grandma's arrival. My parents have put up a 1,000 gallon inflatable pool for my nieces to swim in when they come over. Yes...I said 1,000 gallons. It's crazy but fun. We played Marco Polo and volleyball and I picked them up and slammed them down into the water a bunch of times too. I mean, if I can't torture them, it's just no fun. Jessica is 12 and in the back. Sydney is 7.


So after we had a great BBQ dinner, Sydney insisted that we all play the board game, "The Game of Life". I swear I don't recall ever playing this game in my life. What a boring game. The game has absolutely no strategy to it - and all you do is take and pay out money. You basically pick out a station wagon (I picked blue) and put either a blue or pink piece in the driver seat to represent "yourself".

There are aspects of this game that are still a bit archaic and old-fashioned (FYI, this board game was created in 1861). For example, everyone in the game, at a certain point, must STOP AND GET MARRIED. So when it was my turn, I decided to be a bit edgy and put another blue piece next to me. I didn't say anything to anyone...wondering if anyone would notice. Of course, nothing gets by Sydney and about halfway through the game she said "Uncle Dave, why do you have 2 blues in your car?" I played dumb and said, "Oh, I just grabbed a piece out of the bag." To which she replied, "Then why didn't you grab a pink piece." I said, "I don't know." She said, "Why don't you grab one now." I said, "Oh, it's no biggie. It's fine as it is." My sister-in-law looked at me and laughed...I grinned from ear to ear.


At the end of the evening, my brother and sister-in-law and I were talking about the fact that my nieces don't know I'm gay and need to be told soon. So they've asked me to come over one evening and the three of us will have "the conversation". I have to admit I'm nervous about coming out to my nieces. I'd hate for them to look at me differently, in any way. I'm hoping, though, that they won't care and finding out early in their life will make them sensitive and open-minded from a very early age. I think it was very cool that my brother/sister want me to be there for this conversation. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well.

4 comments:

Matt G said...

they frikken adore you, plus this opens up a whole new 'cool uncle dave' avenue to talk about boys, shopping, and how to deal with bitchy school mates. i think this would only enhance your relationship with them

Anonymous said...

Hi Davie,

Loved the subtle same sex new rule for the game of life!

Good luck with the nieces issue. I can imagine their thoughts at the moment you share yourself....

"That explains SO much"..."I thought he spent too much time with Ken rather than Barbie"...."That's why Uncle Davie uses his arms and hands so much when he talks!"....."and how can he sit so long with his legs crossed?"..."bitchen, I'll get his money and that great flat in the Castro when he croaks"...."THE CASTRO! How could I have been so blind!?".... "OMG, I'll end up wiping his butt when he is laying there drooling because he won't have any kids"...."Oh well, at least I can now talk about boys with him".

Peter

Eric A said...

Awww, that's a sweet story :) Nothing will change, they love you so much!

Dave D said...

Thanks all for the sweet comms! I am hoping for the best. It sure will be interesting. I'll be sure to blog about it after it happens.