Monday, July 28, 2008

My Grandma

My 83-yr old grandma arrived from New Jersey. It's always great to see her. She usually comes out for Xmas only but this year she came out for a summer visit and to surprise her great-grand daughter, Jessica, who will be performing in a community center production of High School Musical.

I have a really great relationship with her. I've always been able to talk to her, frankly, and she's always respected me as an adult. She totally doesn't care that I'm gay and after I told her she NEVER looked at me differently. Never.

She's spunky and foul-mouthed. She loves to play cards (for money) and she LOVES to play the slots. Her diet consists mostly of toast, coffee, and cigarettes. She demands kisses as a source of energy and currency - if you want something she has or you want her to do something - you have to give her a kiss.

She's lived within a 5-mile radius in Hudson County, New Jersey her entire life.

When we were kids she used to spoil us rotten. She taught us how to play poker and how to learn the strategy of a card game. We couldn't (and still can't) do wrong. She's a proud grandmother and doesn't think twice about bragging to her friends about her family.

She's 4' 10" tall and she doesn't take shit from anybody. Don't piss her off or she won't think twice about hitting you in the nuts with her cane and then flipping you off while swearing at you! And don't touch food with your fingers or she'll say 'You touch...and I break your fingers!" Oh, and she used to work for the garbage company... so make sure you don't end up on her shit list cuz you just never know when you'll be sporting a pair of cement shoes ;-)

She's Ann D'Amore, she's my grandma and I love her to pieces. I hope I have more time with her before she leaves us.

I caught a few pics as she came off the airplane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't Gramas great! I totally get your feelings about your Grama Davie - such a pioneer of spirit. I know that your time with her is cherished.

Peter

GabrielZ said...

I can attest that she is a hysterical, warm, foul-mouthed woman who loves her cigarettes. :) Such fun!