Monday, November 3, 2008

I may be a size queen...but seriously?

It is rare that I have bad or disappointing food in SF. Even the holes-in-the-wall usually deliver an above-average food experience. Last night I had what was possibly the most disappointing meal I've had in a long long time in SF.

Boom and I were craving Buffalo Wings. We thought to ourselves "Ooooh, there's that place on Valencia called 'Newyorker's Buffalo Wings' so lets go there and mess up a big basket of em!"

All day I was looking forward to that big basket of wings... finger-licking good! We arrive at 8pm and the place is literally empty. And I mean empty. We were THE only patrons. Red flag #1.

We approach the counter to order to find a 15 yr old kid there to take our order. We look at the menu and it's basically a burger place... that sells wings. They had burgers, gyros, greek salad, chicken sandwiches... oh...and wings. On the wings menu, one would expect a place called "Newyorker's Buffalo Wings" to have a variety of flavors, styles, and options. Nope. Red flag #2. The only choice you have is how many (8, 13, 26, or 30), spicy or mild, and blue cheese or ranch. That's it.

We decided to split an order of 13 (and btw... 13? what's up with that? What number is more difficult to share among a group than a prime number?) Red flag #3. I also order a gyro.
Not sure why... but I did. Let it go.

The entire time we waited, not another single person walked in. Oh - and while waiting, all the staff sans the cook were sitting out in the dining room watching The Simpsons on the big screen TV. Red flag #4.

And while waiting... other staff members came into the restaurant with bags of food from somewhere else. OK, if they don't even want to eat there... Red flag #5

The food arrives - and what we stare down at was the most disappointing basket of wings EVER to be placed before us. I held hopes that these wings...again the name of the fucking restaurant... would be big and juicy and delicious. They were the smallest, puniest, meatlessest wings I've ever seen. Take a look. They were so small I had to capture because I don't think you can really appreciate how shitty these were. Now... I've been called a size queen but PUH-LEASE... would these satisfy you? Red flag 1 to many


Oh, and my gyro was basically a pita filled with onions, one slice of gyro meat, and 4 cups of yogurt sauce.

I normally don't do reviews on Yelp, City Search, or other...but I have made it my personal mission to drive this restaurant out of business - FAST. They underwhelmed the wrong size queen...I mean... patron...

DON'T EVER EAT AT NEWYORKER'S BUFFALO WINGS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd play the size queen card as well. Looks more like a buffalo toenail than wing

Muni Meltdown said...

Like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.