Monday, February 11, 2008

Bye, Bye, Miss Mathmatical Pi

I swear that I'm not as smart as I was when I was in high school. Back then, I was in the honors program taking Physics, Trigonometry, Calculus, Chemistry, and other -tries, -ologies, and -yses. Today...right this minute...can you figure out the circumference of a circle? I can't. Can you determine how long it will take a 30lb object to fall from 100 feet up? Not me. I did it with my eyes closed when I was in the 12th grade. But now? Forget it.

So, about 3 months ago I signed up to receive the SAT Question of the Day. I know, right? Why the hell would someone at 41 do that? I'm weird that way. I guess I wanted to test myself and determine if I've been able to retain any of the skills I busted my ass to learn so many years ago.

What have I learned? That my reading and writing skills are better than they were. And my math skills are in the crapper. Funny part was that when I originally took the SAT test, it was the opposite. I was a Math whiz and an average Joe at Grammar.

My first SAT question about math required me to "isolate a to determine x". Um...those are both letters...now, where are the letters on my calculator again?

Obviously it all comes down to muscle memory. We build and improve the things we do and use consistenly over time. I speak and write all day, every day. It's been a while since my boss asked my to determine the hypotenuse of a isosoles triangle. If she did, I'd smack her - then quit.

The scary realization was taking inventory of the other things I've become good at over the years from constant practice. The contents of that list, strangely enough, can't be publically published. But I can say that n=SUM[(fun+freedom)*friends+(gay*sanfrancisco)]/penicilin.

Lesson learned: Do more of the things you'd like to be better at. Ditch the rest. Goodbye pi.

If you're interested in receiving the SAT Question of the Day, go to this URL and sign-up.
http://apps.collegeboard.com/qotd/question.do

1 comment:

GabrielZ said...

There are actually some formulae that you're extremely good at - your math skills are not as rusty as you think.

For example - I know you can calculate the exact amount of force required to kneel without hurting your knees. (Calculus)

Also, you can quickly close the gap between your face and an opening in a wall without injuring your precious Romanesque nose. (Geometry)

And, most importantly, you can calculate the total amount of time before your inhaled oxygen supply becomes critical (and you pass out) while performing light aerobic activity. (Physics)

So you see, Dave - don't be so hard on yourself. But be careful of your knees, nose and windpipe. :)

-G