Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Time took its time. But it did heal, as promised.

It's amazing to think that I've been single now for over 8 years. Yes. I know, I know. But that's not what I'm here to talk about today. Over the past 2 years, Vinnie and I have been able to become really good friends. We call each other, text each other. We gossip and just stay caught up. I even flew out to Las Vegas last year to spend a weekend with him and his partner Phil.

My point is that I'm a living, breathing example that "Time Heals". The therapist said it would take 6 months for every year together to get over it. I didn't believe her. But there I was, like many others have been. Just broken up. In 1999. Day 1. Week 1. Week 4. Month 3. Month 9. Year 2. Year 4. That whole time I was angry, confused, bitter, resentful, and even hateful at times. We tried to be "friends" too soon and it would blow up in my face and I'd have to then go months and months without seeing or talking.

But then year 4 came. The 6 months/yr mark. And there it was. Or wasn't, for that matter. All the anger, the held-on love, the questions, the confusion, was gone. Roughly about the same time, I ran into Vinnie and Phil in Palm Springs and we actually had a nice visit. It was awkward at first since I'd never met Phil, but we muddled through it, and had a pleasant time.

Slowly but surely we would drop and email here and there. He'd call with updates on the health of his Dad. I'd call to check on the puppies. And fast forward to today and we're bonafide good friends who truly care about each other's well being and happiness.

If someone would've asked me in month 3 if I thought we'd be friends - I'd say "no way". But time knew better and proved me wrong.

I find now, 8 years later, that I can look back at the relationship and really, truly appreciate the good times, the fun memories, the big moments, and the little ones too. I can yearn anxiously to feel that kind of love again with someone new, because I've felt it already, and I liked it...I loved it. And as much as a divorce tears you down, it can never erase how high love builds you up.

So for anyone out there going through a breakup - day 4, week 4, or year 4 - just know that with time will come peace. With time will come forgiveness. And with time will come the ability to look back and remember the happiness you felt and the memories you made. Because while you were in it... it was the best thing you'd ever felt...and it was real. That stays with you forever. And all the other stuff falls away... just like the sands in the hourglass. Thanks Time. Glad you found me.

2 comments:

Wilma said...

That was beautiful! And so true. Love you! MUAH!

Matt G said...

i think it's nice that you guys are friends after all these years. no, i didn't cry reading because i have no feelings. *takes a puff of cigarette*